Monday, June 25, 2007

Swim Lessons: Day One

I won't give you an update on each day of swim lessons but I had to write about our first day...

It was a bit stressful for mommy due to the weather. Our class started at 11:30 and that's when the rain began too. They don't cancel class unless there's lightning. When it started raining, I stood back and watched the other moms and they got in the pool without a fuss. I decided we would get in too. The water was SO cold. My mind immediately starts thinking about how his immune system might be weakened if he's cold and wet and he might get sick. I tried to focus on the lesson, though, and we started blowing bubbles in the water. Meanwhile, the rain picked up. All the other moms continued so I did too. Next, I put Evan on his tummy in the water. Then onto his back. If you know Evan at all, he is a pretty go-with-the-flow guy. Even though the rain was heavy, he didn't mind. He just did whatever! The teacher commented on how well he was doing. Most of the other children were fussing a bit. Evan was as laid back as ever (if you know me, you know that he gets this personality from his daddy!). When the rain picked up even more, I decided it was time for us to get out even if the other moms stayed in the pool. For some reason they want you to get out on the side of the pool (no steps!). That was interesting since it was slick and I had to get Evan out, too. Now I know why the other moms were wearing the swim skirts. I may need to make a trip to Target tonight! Anyway, it continued to be comical as I tried to dry off Evan and myself while holding our bag and trying to slip on some shorts. We finally made it to the car, soaked, not from the pool, but from the rain. We got home and Evan took a warm bath. He did so well today...better than mommy. We will only return if the weather is more favorable. Here are some pictures of him all dressed for his lessons. The 12-18 month swim trunks are a bit long:)

2 comments:

The Wells Family said...

hey leah! so fun...we are taking swim classes too...but..ours got cancelled in the rain - sounds like a good thing!
this is our 2nd week - and emma has done really well. i haven't dunked her..but really - when all the other kids are screaming - i wonder...what is the point?

shalonda said...

Oh leah! you crack me up! I know you are a little overprotective FTM like me so i am super proud of you for getting in despite the rain! Evan looks so precious in his swim trunks! I can totally see you trying to get both of you out of the pool, lol!