We just returned from a trip to NYC. I don't really know how to describe it so I'll list some highlights...
1. I researched cars (for a long time!!) that could pick us up at Newark airport with an infant seat. The car arrived without the seat. The driver's reason was the terrible traffic. If you're in the business of airport transportation, aren't you used to the traffic? Things were ok when they sent a new driver with an infant seat.
2. Our first hotel was a block off Times Square. It's tough to push a stroller through the crowded streets.
3. I was nervous to venture out while Rob had his conference. But, Evan and I did it! We went to the Met and walked along Central Park on Thursday.
4. Added to the list of one of the days of my life that I would like to forget, is Friday, when I realized that I no longer had my wallet. It was lost sometime after we left Tavern on the Green on Thursday night. Friday, we were on the phone with the taxi commission, credit card companies, bank, etc. No one had used our cards, thankfully, but I think we lost somewhere around $150-$200 cash. I immediately started trying to figure out how I would get home on the plane without an ID. Easy fix, we thought...Mom can overnight me my passport. But, after walking my mom through every possible place where our passports might be located in our house, she couldn't find them. I guess I put them in some secret and safe place (yet to be determined) after our move.
I talked to Continental and they said I needed a police report stating my wallet was lost or stolen. So, Evan and I spent Friday afternoon at the midtown police station. We shared a waiting room with the New Yorkers who were waiting to retrieve their belongings after getting out of jail (I'm so glad Evan is not old enough to remember). We finally got the report and went on our way. Yes, I shed tears at the police station but did not get any sympathy or special treatment.
5. We changed hotels to the W Hotel. It was really nice and trendy and in a great neighborhood that was less crowded than Times Square.
6. We enjoyed a delicious Italian dinner, near the W, that was authentic.
7. Saturday was our best day. We went to a Farmer's Market by Union Square. There was a lot of organic stuff and the breads and baked goods listed ingredients. That's one part of the city I wish I could bring home with me! We also visited the Soho area and Ground Zero.
8. We attempted to go to a Yankees game but Rob ended up going solo since the subway was wall-to-wall people and Evan was fussy (not a good combo). Rob wanted to see Yankee Stadium before they tear it down.
9. Evan got a lot of attention. Much of the time he was sitting up tall in his stroller waving at strangers. It was neat to see the joy he brought people...ALL types of people. He is quite a ham and loved the attention.
He was pretty fussy on the plane rides and wouldn't sleep in the hotel crib so he shared our bed with us. As you can imagine, we didn't sleep very well. As of tonight, he has started Baby Bootcamp where he must sleep in his own bed and he cannot watch his videos (his videos were the only thing that would keep him happy in the small hotel rooms).
Today on the plane, he was so fussy for us. As soon as we landed, he started waving and smiling at the other passengers. It seems like he is sick of us and just wants attention from strangers.
10. We are glad to be home and have decided to avoid traveling for awhile! Thankfully, we were greeted by a phone message from a woman who has my wallet. I don't imagine the cash is there but it will be nice to get my license back (avoid a DPS trip!!) and anything else that might remain. She said her brother found it on the street. I am thankful for this honest woman!


1 comment:
Oh Leah! Those cupcakes sure looked yummy and that patty cake face is HILARIOUS! I am sure yall are glad to be back hime where people say YAll, lol!
Post a Comment