It was supposed to be a quiet night at home. Evan's cousins stopped by for a just a minute on their way home. The kids were playing and Evan dove into his stuffed puppy chair, trying to be silly. However, his dive continued until the window sill stopped him. We heard SUCH a loud noise, it was frightening. The amount of blood that was there immediately was so scary. We rushed him to the bathroom to check out the wound and hopefully stop the bleeding. The cut was very close to his eye. When we saw the cut, we knew we had to go to the ER. Bless his heart. He was strong but cried quite a bit. On the way out, I grabbed lolipops. This was a lifesaver. My parents rushed over and rode with us to the hospital. We debated whether or not to go somewhere closeby or drive to the children's hospital farther away. We chose the hospital close to our house. Looking back, I can see how it might be worth it to go to the children's hospital. There probably would have been so much to look at the fun things to do while waiting. The environment would have been less scary for Evan.
Anyway, Evan was still crying when we got there and did not want to be weighed. She didn't even bother taking his vitals because she knew he wouldn't cooperate. The doctor saw us right away and determined he would need stitches. They put some numbing cream on the wound and then we waited for awhile. One of the nurses blew bubbles for him and gave him Shrek stickers. He watched TV for a little while and had the suckers I brought. Then, once he was calm and happy, it was time for the procedure. The worst part was when they wrapped him in the sheet so he couldn't move his arms and legs. Someone was holding his head still. You can imagine how much he liked it. It lasted about 5 minutes but it seemed like forever.
It didn't take him long to calm down afterward and he was ready to play when got home. He will get the stitiches out in 5 to 7 days. This was a first ER experience and it was tough...probably tougher on Mommy than Evan. They warned us that we will probably be back since he's a boy. We're so thankful that God protected his eye and that we did not have to wait long in the ER.
Here are some pictures taken after we got home.



8 comments:
oh my word leah bless his heart and mommy's too!!!! looks liek he is fine now and thats all that matters...
Oh my goodness, Leah! What night was this? Was it just last night? From the pictures, Evan sure looks like he was a big trooper through the whole thing! My brother ended up in the emergency room a handful of times...the nurse is right, there's just something about a boy that's prone to stuff like that. I can't imagine! I'm so glad he's ok! And you were really thinking quickly to come up with taking lollipops! I hope today is a good day for you all and restful after the long night.
Thanks for your comments! Yes, it was Friday night. He slept well and is acting like himself this morning. He doesn't want to wear a bandaid anymore, though. If anyone knows of any Shrek bandaids, let me know!
Leah, I am so sorry to hear about Evan's accident. I am sure it was so hard on you guys. I am glad that he is doing better.
I'm glad he's doing better!
Oh, Leah! I'm so sorry y'all had to go through that. I'm glad that sweet Evan is doing better!
That is so sad! Thank goodness we haven't had any stitches yet. I can only imagaine how long that 5 minutes was.
Oh no Leah! I bet that was very tough on mommy :( So glad he is ok and his eye was protected!
Post a Comment