Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lost

In general, Evan is alot more daring and behaves worse around Gibson, his cousin who is only 3 months younger than him. I guess maybe since they're so close they behave like twins sometimes and feed off of each other. Today it hit a peak.
My sis and I took the kids to Target late this afternoon for a few things. At this age, the kiddos are happier walking around and not sitting in the cart. So, we allowed them to walk next to the carts as we looked around. They would run a little in a front of us at times but they were in sight...until they quickly turned a corner. I steered the cart where I thought they went and nothing. I started pushing the cart faster and looking up and down each aisle in the section. I went one way, Dara another...still nothing. At this point, we've worked our way to the checkout area (and near the EXITs that have AUTOMATIC DOORS to the PARKING LOT) and still nothing...about 3 mintues have passed. I worked my way to Guest Services while Dara went toward the back of the store. As I'm walking up there, my mind is thinking the worst. Are they in the parking lot? Has someone walked off with them? I mean, they are so loud when they're together and I haven't heard them screaming. Just as I bypassed the line of about 10 people at guest services and said, "Excuse me, we have 2 lost two-year old boys. Can you make an announcment," I saw 2 small kiddos run by out of the corner of my eye. I ran over to the purse and accessory section where I saw them (nowhere near where we lost them) and scooped them up and starting scolding them. Evan kept saying, "but, we were just playing hide-and-seek from mama, Dara, and Sophie." Nice...hide-and-seek in Target...from your mother. They were completely oblivious and certainly not concerned or looking for us. Praise the Lord they were fine but that was the longest 5 minutes of my life. Riding in the cart is a must from now on.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad you found them and sorry you had such a scare.

Spicy Magnolia said...

Oh, dear one, I can't imagine how hard your heart was pounding!!

I would venture to guess that all mothers have that first-time experience of lost children in a store. I'm already dreading the day mine will come up.

Hope you have a great Thursday!

Emily said...

So scary!! I took Hazel to the play area at the mall. James called, and I answered and said, "Can't talk now, I'm watching Hazel play. Bye!" Seriously, in that 20 second time, I lost her. I was PETRIFIED too. I spotted her in the play area about a min later (I think I was so scared that I couldn't see straight) but that was one loooooong minute. I've been too scared to take her back since.

Allison said...

So scary! If those two are together you are definitely going to have to stay on your toes! I can't believe they evaded you for 5 minutes.

The Wests said...

oooooh leah! So glad you found him and you did the right thing!!

The Roser Family said...

my heart stopped just thinking about it...so scary. glad that you found them and that everyone was safe.