Sunday, June 14, 2009

Swim Lessons: Mixed Review

Smiles...
and tears...
We went to someone in the neighborhood for one-on-one lessons. This was definitely a good choice. I didn't think group lessons would be very effective for Evan. He started out doing great the first lesson but then decided he just wanted to play on the steps of pool and didn't want to do what she asked. He fussed and cried but would eventually obey. His teacher was very persistant with him, thankfully. Because I know him well, I think his resistance wasn't due to fear but rather he wanted to be in control and do his own thing. We regrouped and had him take his lesson right after Sophie's lesson. His teacher would ask him to show off for Sophie and this seemed to work well.
The good news is, he's doing really well in the pool when we take him. He jumps off the side, kicks, and goes underwater sometimes. We just have to mix the skills with lots of play time.
Just FYI for moms-his teacher recommended that he take showers instead of baths so he would get used to water in his face. He resisted at first but now likes taking showers. This has seemed to help.

1 comment:

The Roser Family said...

That is great that you found someone to do one-on-one lessons! I completely understand the control thing; we are already seeing this trait with David. It will be neat to see how Evan's swimming progresses over the summer.