Evan started private swim lessons at the beginning of June. We were done with group classes and knew that the only way our strong-willed boy would learn would be one-on-one. A friend recommended a teacher who was supposedly tough and does not care if her students cry or fuss. Sounded like a good fit! Plus, this teacher had taught my friend's almost 2 year old to swim...wow! We signed up and I warned her about Evan's will and tremendous fear. I told her how we wasted money last summer when Evan wouldn't put his face in the water and never progressed past station one. The instructor said she was up for the challenge and would probably need 8 lessons. She encouraged me to leave during his lessons.
It was a good idea to leave. He cried a lot. But, by some miracle he did what she asked and was swimming under water the first day. I was impressed with that. Each day it was a battle to get him to the pool. I heard it all: stomach ache, water is too cold, needs a nap, and so on. On Tuesday, he ran away from me, around the pool, and ended up under the playscape. With sis in one arm and in my swimsuit, I crawled under the playscape and literally dragged him to the pool kicking and screaming. I was determined. His teacher remained tough and would just say "oh well," if he complained. She would also add another rep if he didn't go under right when she asked. He continued to swim for her, to my surprise, but would want out of the pool immediately after lessons. He would not perform his skills for me either. Each night and sometimes right before lessons, he would ask me to pray for him to be brave.
On Friday, during our 7th out of 8 lessons, something clicked. His fear was gone and he didn't want to get out if the pool...amazing!!!! He wanted to practice his skills over and over. I couldn't get him out. We went back to the pool today and he loved it again and had no fear. Rob, who had been gone all week for work, was so excited about his breakthrough. Evan is so proud of himself. Prayer, perseverance, patience, and investing in private lessons paid off!!! Way to go Evan!!! Enjoy the video!
It was a good idea to leave. He cried a lot. But, by some miracle he did what she asked and was swimming under water the first day. I was impressed with that. Each day it was a battle to get him to the pool. I heard it all: stomach ache, water is too cold, needs a nap, and so on. On Tuesday, he ran away from me, around the pool, and ended up under the playscape. With sis in one arm and in my swimsuit, I crawled under the playscape and literally dragged him to the pool kicking and screaming. I was determined. His teacher remained tough and would just say "oh well," if he complained. She would also add another rep if he didn't go under right when she asked. He continued to swim for her, to my surprise, but would want out of the pool immediately after lessons. He would not perform his skills for me either. Each night and sometimes right before lessons, he would ask me to pray for him to be brave.
On Friday, during our 7th out of 8 lessons, something clicked. His fear was gone and he didn't want to get out if the pool...amazing!!!! He wanted to practice his skills over and over. I couldn't get him out. We went back to the pool today and he loved it again and had no fear. Rob, who had been gone all week for work, was so excited about his breakthrough. Evan is so proud of himself. Prayer, perseverance, patience, and investing in private lessons paid off!!! Way to go Evan!!! Enjoy the video!


5 comments:
Way to go, Evan!! We are proud of you and your mommy for persevering and sticking with it!
So proud of him!! Elle watched it over and over. Hope it's motivation for her. :)
Awesome! He needs to come to mom and dads to show his stuff...
Wow! Way to go Evan!! You are a fish!! :)
yay for Evan! and good for you for doing it! Savannah loves the water with us but an instructor making her go under is a whole different story...good to hear your tactic and keep in mind for next year :)
Post a Comment