Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Trail Ridge Drive (last Colorado post!)



Trail Ridge Drive is a must-see when visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. It's a gorgeous drive up to almost 12,000 feet and takes about half of the day to complete. I was amazed to see so many cyclists on the road. There are several stops to get out and take pictures or walk trails.


We were excited to see some elk. Poor guy on the right has been tagged!

We also saw a marmot. Very rat-like.


Ek was more interested in this than the gorgeous scenery
We had such a wonderful time. It was tough to come home, knowing the weather we would face. I know there are so many other gorgeous mountainous places to visit, but I think we found "our spot." Can't wait until next year!

Now, about the way home. Why did our perfect vacation have to end on a sour note?

Lesson Learned: Do not book a flight later than 5:00pm when traveling with children.

Since we only fly direct, our choice was an 8:20pm flight from Denver to Austin. I knew the kids would be tired but we would get home around 11:00. Late night but not too bad, right?

We learned early on the day of our departure, via flight tracker app, that our plane started out the day seriously delayed. And, it kept getting worse. Our flight didn't take off until 11:20pm, Mountain Time, and we arrived home in Austin around 2:30am. BRUTAL! Evan slept during the flight but EK was uncomfortable and cried some. We survived but it took us a few days to recover.

The kids playing in a tent at Dick's Sporting Goods in a mall outside of Denver...trying to pass some time. I'm sure they loved us!


No comments: